Thursday, May 14, 2009

Noises ON- Eightieth and Beyond

UpperWestSide: Silent Tour

For my sound walk, I began on my block. As I left my building, the first noise I noticed was the distinct click of the lock as the door closed behind me. At first, I thought all I could hear was the traffic on Amsterdam and the middle school kids yelling and laughing outside of T&R (the pizzeria around the corner from my house.) --

FUN FACT: T&R used to be Pete's Pizza; Pete was a funny Italian man, always laughing and smoking a cigarette, serving us Italian Ices for 25cents after school. I loved Pete. Due to marital problems, Pete fell off so to speak, and got bought out by T&R. They no longer have Italian Ice for 25cents, the after school special is overpriced, and the white slices have taken a hit in the quality department. However, the drunk slice at T&R is always appreciated late night. --



Anyway, as I approached the middle of the block, I passed a young couple with a baby practically gurgling at each other. I smiled though; the yuppie families in my neighborhood are kind of cute. I began to hear a horn player practicing some blues in a nearby apartment and I started to really become enthusiastic about my walk. As I passed another building I heard more music; This time a piano student having a lesson. They must have been in the basement apartment because I could hear the teacher encouraging the student as they practiced. Coming to the corner, I could hear the whirring of the fans in Andy's Deli and my homeboys inside shouting orders and Delivery!

I crossed Columbus and walked passed the Museum of Natural History. As I passed, there was a little boy with his nanny and sibling in a stroller walking next to me. I heard the little boy say to his nanny, "I've been here 5 times and the planetarium 8. I'm named after the planetarium, Did you know that? The real name is the Hayden Planetarium." She didn't respond at all, and he must have repeated himself four of five times after that. Realizing this woman either couldn't understand him or didn't think he deserved some sort of response really bothered me.
I made a left onto 77th Street and headed toward Central Park. At that point I stopped hearing conversations and heard only buses, which make me turn my head every time, and footsteps. I heard puppy footsteps, a Great Dane's footsteps, strollers, the business man shuffle step, the clickity clack of heels, and bike tires on the slick sidewalk. I was enjoying being attuned to the beings walking with me when I was rudely interrupted by a man yelling at a taxi. Apparently he thought the driver should make a left from the far right lane in order to pick him up going in the opposite direction. But so it goes.
I walked into and through the park to the East side and then back. It's amazing how the sound changes in the park. Immediately it seems deceivingly quiet. But then I noticed the birds were all singing a symphony of spring, despite the drizzle. I know this assignment was about sound, but the most noticeable thing to me in the park was the smell of grass and dew. I became lost in the beauty of the green against the gray sky and I didn't hear much besides the sounds of life around me. Leaving the park was a rude awakening. I started walking faster, the noise of traffic seemed to have doubled since I had entered the park, and on CPW I could hear the C/A/B/E train whurr by underground. The man at the hot dog cart was shouting out his "reasonable" 3$ bottles of Poland Spring and things were much more chaotic.

I hurried home and the noises became familiar and comforting. Although, the loss of my kitten makes noises at home relatively unbearable and while writing this blog I've thought i heard him playing with the curtain strings three times. I guess I've enjoyed being out of the apartment and listening to noises, but now I'm having a hard time appreciating being so attuned to this sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment